Sunday, May 25, 2008

Traditional Chinese Medicine

The office is in an alley

The Dr. and Tim, She is standing Tim is sitting.
She is an amazing women, reminds me of my Grandma Hannah
She was so happy to take this pic with me.
I gave her one that hangs in the office now.


Tim is 14 on the list of patients for the day, notice no one is patient 13!
This was a day I was able to get there just about an hour after they opened.
Patients add their name when they arrive.

The Dr. is consulting with a patient at the reception desk,
notice the x-ray viewer and the patient in the foreground.

This is the view from where that patient was sitting.
I was able to take these kind of undercover shots as it was not busy yet.
Note the heat lamp that warms you to the core.
Yes men and women lay half undressed next to each other for this part.


Well I knew it would happen at some point and it did. My back tightened up and kind of went out. Carrying suitcases on vacation didn't help nor does carrying around a camera bag and well you get the idea. So I was at the point that going to work was questionable. I managed and one of my colleagues told me about a Chinese traditional Doctor.

Well it took a few attempts but I finally got to see her. She was not sure that she was going to treat me. But I used my persuasive powers to convince her to work on me. That is not as easy as it might sound. She did not understand a word of English and my Chinese will not get me far.

Anyway she saw me for two weeks a total of 8 treatments. I have a number of stories but the main thing is it is a one room Dr. Office. The reception area, exam/treatment area, well all things are done in the one room. I have been there when over 25 people were in the 15 x 25 foot room. She is suppose to be a very famous Doctor in Shenhzen. I was told this by at least 4 different people.

She uses a combination of infared heat, massage and a little bit of chiropractic as well as Chinese herbs, acupunture, and a lot of talk. A typical treatment takes an hour and a half. But the whole event will take between 2 1/5 to 4 hours. It really isn't an appointment as you don't have an appointment.

When it is your turn you lay down on the wood bench convered with a thin pad and a sheet. The sheet gets changed daily, I think. Anyway if you are modest you might not make it as your examination is conducted with many onlookers. They don't just look, they comment or ask questions about their own personal needs. They were quite interested to view the American.

Well after 2 weeks I am a new man. Well I feel pretty good. In fact very good. Oh the total cost including Chinese medicine etc. was about $60 for all 8 treatments.

No comments: