Friday, August 17, 2007

Broken Money

Setting up a bank account at the bank the school told us to set-up with was an experience. The school actually took most of and helped assist with the Chinese forms. That was an interesting hour. I had some US $ that I wanted to put in so that we could access it when needed with our newly issued debit card. We were taken to a room on the side of the main teller area that was labeled VIP they gave us drinks and had us wait. When I gave them my hundred dollar bills they brought in a special bank examiner. Each bill was carefully scrutinized for about a minute then they ran them through a machine they made a stack of those they would accept and those they would not. They handed back 4 hundreds and told me they were broken. I could not see why but upon closer examination some had small nicks in the edge of the bills. So I guess I had broken money. We exchanged it with the school and were able to get it into the bank and exchanged for Chinese RMB. Total time about 3 hours.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

You are bringing "BROKEN" money into China, what were you thinking? You can imagine if they are not careful how easy it would be to pass counterfeit bills, and guess who's pocket it would come out of it they did, the guy checking the money.