Sunday, January 27, 2008

New Bike for Tim!

My New Bike parked in our extra bedroom

The bike shop that I bought my bike from

I have been borrowing a bike and riding with a good friend of mine. We take off right after school and can get in a pretty good ride for about and hour to an hour and a half. It gets me out and allows one to see more of the area and life around Shekou. Even with the pollution issues I think the exercise is good. We do lots of walking but that doesn't get your heart rate up like riding a bike.

As you can imagine, especially if you know me, purchasing a bike was not a "go to the closest bike shop" or second hand bike shop, (lots of those around) and just get a bike. No, I had to drag this out to more than a three week process. (Rob and Sev are not surprised to hear this) That included discovering new bike shops, (not as easy as the yellow pages) taking trips to bike shops, many test drives. lots of discussions about frames etc. In the end I found a bike I really liked at a pretty fair price at a new bike shop that sells to the upscale bike enthusiast. Of course the frame size I wanted had to be ordered and then there is the discussion of the price and options etc. This was much more complex and took longer than my usual car purchase with the language complication thrown in just for fun and of course I involved a few friends to get the final purchase made.

I think I am going to like this bike. Now if I can keep it from being stolen for a while! Some of our staff have lost up to 4 bikes in a two year time frame!

http://www.cyclist.cn

3 comments:

Bruce said...

Ok this has got to be said, you are my brother right? What the heck you riding a bike for an hour plus??? I think the last time you rode a bike was in Ohio in the 70's.

So I suppose the question is will it take you as long to buy your second or third bike after this one is stolen?

I think it is great you are riding a bike I am just shocked!!

Tim Winterfeld said...

I actually have a TREK bike back in Washington, that is in storage now. It didn't get a lot of use I will admit. I rode almost daily when I was in Eugene getting my Masters, That was the late 80's. Anyway it is a great way to get around as long as I don't hit to many people and they stay out of my way.

Bruce said...

Ok, I was a decade off. Glad you are out going local on your bike. As long as you don't have any propane tanks hanging off the side I suppose it is all good.