Saturday, October 27, 2007

Chinese Medicine Massage








Bev and I have been getting a massage since the second day we came to China. Our boss actually set up massages for all the new employees. So now we have tried a number of different locations around our area. You can always tell if you've found a massage place because there will be girls out front in fluffy pink or blue prom dresses to invite you in. Each business has a slightly different slant on massage. I think all the teachers at our school get massages. People seem to have their favorite place. Kind of like your favorite coffee spot.

I have to tell you that Bev has tried a much wider number of places and types of massage, such as full body Thai massage. Ok, so we have our favorite place, and our favorite masseuse. We could not pronounce their Chinese names and so we gave them American names based on what we heard them say their names were. So Bev goes to Jim and Tim goes to Suzy, they are now use to their new names. We think this is better than what the business gives them for names which is "Boy 110", "Girl 100". We laugh a lot and have a good time together.

I could give you a complete description of the whole basic Chinese Medicine Foot massage, but it is better that you experience it yourself. This is the standard massage that I get, and usually Bev is with me. This massage starts at your neck and gets to your feet about 45 minutes later, and then works on your feet for 45 min. When your done you are totally relaxed and ready to go straight to sleep.

Some of our friends have introduced us to the Hair Wash. Great experience. My head never felt better. You have to have some time for this as it takes about an hour. Total cost, under $5.00 the same cost as the basic Chinese Medicine foot massage. I had my ears candled when I had the hair wash. See the pics above of Bev getting a hair wash! and Tim getting his ears candled.

Bottom line this is one of the big benefits of living in China. Bev has increased her massages to two or three a week. I am keeping mine at the once a week for right now.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

Ok, they all looked like they would feel great but I have to question the candle thing in your ear. Aren't you trying to get wax out of your ears not put it in? Why is the candle lit?